Posted in Other

Baby Blanket

I’d like to start by apologizing for not writing for (according to my WordPress home page) 23 days. I recently moved down to NYC. In the chaos of packing and unpacking, I’ve had very little to say that didn’t go something like this: “darn it, I have to run to Lowes again!” Not to mention getting settled in my new apartment and running errands (like going to Lowes) when heat index hasn’t dropped below 90 in a over week is exhausting.

Photo-20160814232415556.jpg
The finished quilt. (I don’t know what happened with the color of this photo when I uploaded it, it was perfect in iphoto. Ah well, I guess that’s what happens when you shrink the file size drastically so the upload is easy.)

Anyway, during this 3 week period, I not only had to move and get ready to start classes (orientation is in a few days), I also had to make a gift for a baby shower. I was considering trying my hand at making bibs or even layette but other than the apron I made in my first sewing class, I’ve never made anything remotely garment-like. I figured I shouldn’t be trying something new for a gift; so a quilt seemed like a good idea. And anyway, two or three hand made bibs aren’t as meaningful as one hand made quilt…right?

Photo-20160814232416602.jpg
The back of the quilt. I was planning on stitching in the ditch both horizontally and vertically, but I loved the look of just parallel lines on the back instead of a grid. Sometimes less is more.

Given the move, I didn’t want to make a full size crib quilt. So I settled on a stroller or car seat quilt. I figured that, knowing the couple, it will come in handy for those uses. If it doesn’t, knowing babies, they’ll find some other use for a small, portable blanket.

How adorable are the three blind mice?!

Now that I knew what I wanted to make I had to figure out how to execute it. I have lovely fabric for baby blankets but it’s all either blue or pink and the couple has chosen not to know the gender. Oh dear, an excuse to shop for fabric! I found the mouse print first and fell in love; in fact I bought enough so that I’d have extra to use for myself at some point (I’m thinking a small knitting/sewing project bag.) After that it wasn’t too hard to find coordinating fabrics that weren’t gender specific. I think the flower prints straddle the line nicely, the colors are rather boy-ish but not too much so and flowers are more girly but also not too much so.

A very rough mock up of the quilt to work out the layout of the squares. For more complex patters I often break out the graph paper, but for these purposes a drawing app sufficed.

I chose to make use of big, bold simple squares rather than fancy quilt blocks to best show off the mouse fabric. After that the assembly wasn’t too difficult. I used binding clips for the first time. Wow they make attaching the back of the binding easier!

Photo-20160814232416323.jpg
Look how nice that binding is!

I’m really happy with the final product. I hope the parents and Baby D (as they are calling their future bundle of joy) like it as much as I do.

 

Advertisements

Author:

Hi, I'm Mercedes. I'm a PhD candidate in politics and a trained pastry chef. I'm also an amateur photographer, hobby quilter, and all-around nutty girl living in the Big Apple.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s